Whispers in the environmental community indicate that the Senate “Climate Change Legislation” bill set to be released by Senators Kerry (D), Lieberman (I) and Graham (R) is a disgusting perversion filled with goodies and givebacks to big coal and other polluters.
Possibly the most despicable piece of this bill is that it will shift the power to regulate and enforce greenhouse gas emissions as well as renewable energy standards to Congress and away from the ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA)! Take a moment to reread the last sentence and let it sink in. How many people in Congress do you think have any sophisticated knowledge of our climate, other than what they see on their local weather channel? Do you think they sound have the responsibility for determining what is best for our planet? Half of these Senators and Congressmembers refute scientific facts and point to the “I was cold this winter, so our climate can’t be changing” defense. Let’s leave things to the professionals on this one.
When this bill is release on Monday, take a few minutes to skim the “Clean Air Act”, which was produced by the EPA and then compare the standards and restrictions set in this policy to what Kerry, Lieberman and Graham bring to the table.
Here are just a few things I am hearing:
- As of now the EPA sets a goal to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 40% over the next 10 yeas, the Senate bill with set a goal of 3%. Fucking pathetic.
- Huge tax cuts and other incentives will be provided for the development of more coal plants. Wait, didn’t we just experience a huge tragedy in West Virginia after a coal mine exploded??? Yeah, we probably should provide incentives for more of these operations.
- Previously environmentally protected coastal areas will be opened up for off shore drilling locations. This is what I like to refer to as the “Sarah Palin” position that President Obama has taken. It is a sad day in America when a Sarah Palin campaign slogan is being brought to life by President Obama.
- The ability for states to regulate the greenhouse gas emissions and renewable energy standards of companies that do business in their state will now be turned over to the Congress. So progressive states outside the bible belt who take an interest in our planet and have implemented stringent emissions laws and high renewable energy standards will be severely scaled back.
This is only a few of the travesties that will be found in the “Climate Change Bill”
There are only two reasons why a bill like this would be presented:
1. The Democrats are desperate for a little love from their much ignored progressive base and want to show they are making an effort to take on climate change issues. Even if it is a feeble, half hearted effort that will not pass the smell test for any self respecting Democrat and will be blocked by virtually all Republicans. ”We proposed real reform but those darn Republicans just won’t let us move it forward.” Please do not try this strategy as no one will believe you.
2. The Democrats are actually interested in comprehensive climate change legislation but are so enslaved to the big polluters who keep their flush with funds that they are terrified to stand up to them. It is as simple as this, “Keep filling my pockets and you can write the bill.” Sadly, this is how it works and I’m sure it does not come as a surprise to anyone reading this.
As a side note, keep an eye on Lindsey Graham (R-SC). This traveling dictionary salesman has his hands in the climate bill as well as the immigration reform bill. He is up to something and that something is watering down important pieces of legislation while appealing to the non tea bagger faction of the Republican party, which is admittedly a small number of people these days. But nevertheless, it is my opinion that he is positioning himself as an endangered moderate Republican that can be elected in 2012 while torpedoing any real progressive initiatives on climate change and immigrations reform. I’ll be watching this guy closely and so should you.
It is tough to rate all parties involved without the full bill present but at this stage, all involved with this bill receive 0 baguettes, pending further review. Stay tuned for an updated rating….
Read Full Post »