In just over a week on Saturday, October 2nd hundreds of thousands of people will put each others differences aside and rally in Washington DC to demand the change we all voted for in 2008. Don’t get me wrong, America has taken giant steps in the right direction since electing President Obama, but this progress has come at a shockingly slow pace and has been met with some of the most aggressive opposition ever seen in government. I’ll concede that the President has not exactly rewarded his base with their top line policy reforms and this is certainly cause for apathy. But, I can assure you that if the same energy and enthusiasm from 2008 is not brought to the polls in 2010, any chance of meaningful progressive policy reforms are lost and gone.
Currently, the political discourse from the right includes far too many not so subtle hints of racism and hate. We are at a pivotal point coming into the 2010 midterm elections as the far right is mobilizing their easily manipulated base to repeal and reverse any and all progress made over the last 2 years. It is easy to motivate people based on fear, hate and religion but it only perpetuates divisiveness and validates close minded policies. One Nation is doing the EXACT OPPOSITE. They are focused on what all Americans have in common and what all Americans regardless of race, class, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, heritage or ability deserve from their government.
What does this movement stand for?
1. Putting America Back to Work:
- Provide immediate relief for those who are currently unemployed.
- Extend jobless benefits, COBRA, mortgage assistance, and other initiatives for those currently out of work.
- Target help for populations and communities in the greatest need
2. Quality and Affordable Public Education
- Ensure that all people have access to affordable, high quality education throughout their lives, from pre-school through college
- Provide for teacher training and support necessary to continuously improve classroom practice and serve students better
3. Equality for All
- Refocus Our Nation’s Fiscal Priorities
- End the foreclosure epidemic and save the homes of America’s families
- Reform bankruptcy laws to protect families and working people
- Prioritize affordable housing for all
Unlike the movement on the right which claims to be for equality and justice but forgets the small piece of applying those concepts to everyday life, One Nation supports legislation that will deliver change and benefits to the lives of all Americans.
For example, in New York, One Nation supports:
- Passing the Local Jobs for America Act
- Passing Let Wall St. Pay for the Restoration of Main St. Act
- Passing the Employee Free Choice Act
- Passing Comprehensive Immigration Reform, starting with the Dream Act
- Redirecting war spending to help create an expansive domestic jobs program
Visit this link for more details about One Nation’s core policy principles:
If you really listen to the rhetoric from the right it is hard to pick out any ideas or proposals that are designed to benefit anyone other than the wealthiest American businesses and citizens. Their policies are identical to what they were peddling in the W era. This combined with the zombie tea party candidates feasting on the flesh of any seemingly moderate republican is setting the country up for a drastic move back to the stone-age if we do not energize and educate voters. The One Nation rally is a great start. Do not forget that we all voted for change and we have to fight for it, we should not expect it to come easy.
Make your voices heard and let the President know that you are still out there, you still support him and that you are ready for the fight for change. It is not the time to be apathetic, as we have made progress and cannot afford to lose any momentum.
I’ll be in DC on 10/2/10 and I encourage you to visit http://www.OneNationWorkingTogether.org to learn more about the movement and then organize friends/family/coworkers to carpool, take a bus, take a train or walk to DC and rally for a more progressive and inclusive America.
Here is a video message from Former Democratic National Committee Chairman and Governor Howard Dean that outlines the importance of One Nation. I hope to see you there!
Read Full Post »